Membership & Admission to The Library
Admission to the Library is restricted to members, but others who are desirous in consulting the resources of the Library may do so with the permission of the Librarian.
The membership of the Library and borrowing is open to the following categories :.
- All Bona fide students of the University of Malawi, The Polytechnic for the duration of their courses.
- All staff members of the Malawi Polytechnic who have been recommended in writing by their Head of Departments.
- Members of the University Council.
Authorised borrowers are allowed to borrow as follows:
|Category||Maximum No. of Items||Loan Period|
|Undergrad Student||7||2 Weeks|
|PSG Students||7||2 Weeks|
Application for membership is to be made on the prescribed form obtained from the Library main Issue counter. Applications of students and faculty members of the College Departments shall be recommended by the respective Heads of the Department and that of other categories shall be recommended by the Assistant Registrar(Administration). On fulfilling the college and library requirements, an Identity Card signed by the Registrar will be processed.
Overdue charges of K100 per day are applicable for keeping the library materials beyond the due date.
Take note of the following:
- Books on loan can be recalled at any time irrespective of the period of loan at the discretion of the Librarian.
- Bound volumes and loose issues of periodicals, reference books, damaged books, and Text Books from Malawiana Collections are not issued out on loan.
- Unbound periodicals and Reference Materials cannot be taken out from the Library
- Before leaving the counter the members must satisfy themselves as to whether the books lent to them are in good condition and if not, they must immediately bring the matter to the notice of the staff on duty at the circulation counter. Otherwise they shall be held responsible for any damage discovered afterwards.
- Loss of books on loan should be immediately reported to the Librarian. Members are liable to replace such books or pay for the cost of a new book. If one volume of a set is lost the whole set may required to be replaced. The members are liable to pay the overdue charges as admissible, in addition to the cost of the book up to the date on which the loss was reported. If the book reported as lost is later found out and returned then overdue charges will be collected from the due date.
- Photocopying of library books and journals may only be carried out within the Copyright regulations. Members can utilise the photocopying facility provided inside the Library on payment.
The Issue System
- Traditional borrowers tickets method is completely abolished in the University Library. Members are issued a barcorded Identity Card at the time of admission to the college. Issuing and returning of books can be done through the main issue counter.
- Special care should be taken to ensure that the Identity Card is not misplaced or lost otherwise its replacement costs is K3000.